Monday, September 10, 2012

childlike joy

Do you remember the days when you were a kid and the world felt like it was at your fingertips? Do you remember the lack of fear, the joy of trying something new, of being near your parents and knowing you were safe and happy? At the festival yesterday there were all kinds of children - spanning all different ages, genders, ethnicity & races and sizes. Some were playing on the bouncy castle, some were holding their parents' hands, some were enjoying the weather and all of them were enjoying the food! It was a photographer's dream, really, to be surrounded by all of this action. Families were out together, spending quality time with each other. The Lieutenant and I had a few short hours together so we decided to head to the festival for lunch. Both of us had a ball trying a variety of foods (my meatballs were to die for!) and watching folks around us eat, drink and be merry.

IMG_3713signed

FryBoysigned

IMG_3696signed

IMG_3706signed

IMG_3708signed

I love how not self-conscious the kiddos were. Some were shoveling food down their throats in ecstasy (and I can't say I blame them because the food we ate was ridiculously awesome), some were just hanging out contentedly with their parents and others were having a ball with toys and bubble-guns. It was so worth the hour we spend walking around. There's something to be said for spending time in the company of wee ones. They definitely lift the spirits and remind you of how amazing life can be. It's the simple things, you know?

And... now that I've gorged myself on a variety of tasty treats, today starts my healthy living. Let me tell you something: when I met my husband I weighed 101 pounds, I was in killer shape and I loved my body. Honestly. I never had much of a body image issue - probably because I had no reason to have such an issue. But then I met the Lieutenant, started eating erratically and poorly, stopped my intense exercise regimen and WHAM! Hello 15 extra pounds.

Not. Acceptable.

So starting today I am taking back control of my health. I'm still in shape - I've been running a lot this summer and even did a Spartan Race. But my eating habits are crap and I need to stop eating like I'm actively trying to fill my arteries up in record time. So today it's back to the drawing board. No gimmicks. No shakes. No DVDs. Just good old fashioned hard work. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I loved how you captured these moments, great pictures!

    ReplyDelete